My go to when hosting is always a charcuterie board! Ask anybody who knows me you will rarely come to anything hosted by me that doesn’t have some assortment of delicious cured meats, cheese and the like.
I usually keep on hand an assortment for impromptu get togethers….
Oh its Wednesday at 12:15pm and 2 girlfriends drop by for coffee….
It is more likely than cookies, muffins or donuts in my house.
As to the how of having a beautiful and delicious platter is very simple and very personal. If you don’t like strawberry rhubarb jam don’t use strawberry rhubarb jam. (although at that point we might need to have a pointed discussion about your choices in life.)
This is my personal go to and what I keep around!
- Cured Meats (hard salami, pepperoni, etc)
- Assorted hard, crumbly and soft cheeses (I like an equal mix but you do you love!)
- Dried fruits (my go to is dried apricots and dried figs)
- Fresh fruit (personal preference is grapes, berries, apples, pears and no I might not have all of them I use what I have on hand)
- Nuts! (pistachios are a favorite but walnuts and almonds are often seen around my kitchen island)
- Crackers and or Bread ( gotta have something to layer the goodies on!)
- Olives and or pickles are a really nice addition
- Last but NOT least is my favorite! Honeys, jams, and marmalade! I can not say enough about how this small addition will raise your platter from nice to amazing! (Plus even a really nice jam or honey will last through multiple events (or lunch lets keep it real) and gets you more bang for your buck!
Fancy add-ins if you are so inclined:
- Roasted garlic
- Sun dried tomatoes
- Candied nuts
- Cheese straws
- Grilled peaches (be still my heart)
- Prosciutto wrapped melon
- Deviled eggs (while not a typical addition it is seriously tasty!)
- Melon balls
- Chocolate (A really great dark chocolate will go FAR)
As you know this list can go on and on but these are some of my favorites and have upped my hostess game with little to no effort!
(yes that is a dragon fruit you spy!)
I tend to splurge on my platters that are a part of a get together that is more planned than last minute but every time I go to the store I manage to pick up something that will work beautifully the next time a friend comes by or a party looms! I like to be prepared, what can I say. Not to mention this has literally been dinner more than once around my house, I think it feels fun and special to the kids when I whip out a platter and put something together for just them! As a side note on those particular nights I do add in lunch meat as well for them.